It’s the most wonderful time of the year. We all search for Christmas gifts, makers, diyers are rushing to make last handmade gifts and outfits for parties. Sometimes we just miss some small extra to add. I am spending these day’s sewing Christmas outfits for my boys. I will make a new butondown shirt for my eldest son and will add a bow tie for that special celebration look. How about you? Do you already feel a holiday mood? I think toddler boys are looking just fabulous in bow ties. And even girls can wear them.
Here it is! I will make your preholiday exercise little bit easier. I will show you how to make elegant and easy boys bow tie in just less than hour. You can make it for your son, nephew or add to your gifts.
This is the unique bow tie I never seen somewhere else, simple and stylish bow tie for boys with decorative piping . Bow tie is adjustable using velcro because I believe that this is a most comfortable way to dress up them for a little kid. I designed it couple years ago and I sell these boys and father bow ties in my Etsy shop. But now it’s time to share my secret tips with you! It’s not the easiest bow tie to make, but with a little bit of patience and practice you won’t regret it.
- Fabric (Corduroy, denim or other quilt weight cotton. You can use also lightweight fabric, but you should line it with fusible interfacing)
- Cotton piping – 40cm (15 3/4″)
- Velcro – 9cm x 1 cm (3 5/8″ x 3/8″)
- Sewing machine
- Zipper and regular foot
- Scissors for fabric cutting and small scissors for making small cuts.
Cut our your bow tie pieces
- bow* – 8cm x 12cm (3 1/4″ x 4 3/4″) – cut 2
- knot* – 7cm x 8cm (2 3/4″ x 3 1/4″) – cut 1
- strap – your boys shirt collar width+9cm (3 5/8″) (an overlap) +2cm (3/4 “) (seam allowances) x 6,5cm (2 5/8”).
- I cut ~40cm (16″) x 6,5cm (2 5/8″) for small boys (baby – ~4 years)
- I cut ~45cm (18″) x 6,5cm (2 5/8″) for toddler boys age 4years – teenager)
*All seam allowances are included, you don’t need to add additional seam allowance.
Attach piping and sew bow
- Pin piping to one of the bows rectangle as shown in the picture, I use seam allowances the same as piping seam allowance. Clip piping at corners. Join the piping ends overlapping each other as shown in picture.
- Put the zipper foot on your sewing machine. Set your sewing machine to the straight stitch and needle position on the left.
- Sew as close to the piping as you can, sew all around the edge.
- Put both bow tie pieces with right sides of your fabric together and pin in place.
- Sew again, from that side you can see the previous stitch, leave a gap in the middle of longest edge.
- Clip the corners and turn through the bow. Turn the corners with sushi stick or other tool. Press the edges with fingers or iron.
- Slip stitch the opening closed.
- Fold the fabric in half.
- Sew 1cm (3/8″) from edge.
- Locate the seam at center and sew one end 1cm (3/8″) from edge.
- Turn throught.
- Fold the shortest edge 1cm. Fold the piece in half length wise and fold both longest edges to the center. Fold in half again and pin.
- Sew the strap 1-2mm from edge.
- Sew on the velcro. Plush side at one end and other side at other end, only in opposite side.
Attach all together
- Fold the bow tie piece in half and both edges back to the center forming a bow. As shown in picture.
- Secure the bow at the center with some hand stitches
- Turn the back side of your bow and straighten up the edges
- Sew on the strap to the bow with hand stitches . Its important that plush side of velcro is on the back side of your bow tie.
- Wrap the knot around the bow tie and hand stitch it closed in the back.
- Form the shape of your bow tie
- And here it is! Your very first ZanziBach bow tie!
Get inspired from ZanziBach bow ties and make yours! I can’t wait to see your version of ZanziBach bows!
Share your makes with us #ZanziBachBowtie
Follow us on social media @ZanziBach
All designs, images, text, and all other information of this instruction are ©ZanziBach. This instruction is for personal use only and no part of this product may be reproduced, transmitted, or shared in any form. Items from this instruction may not be produced for resale. All rights reserved.